Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Another banner day for Egyptian tourism

The same media hypocrites who pillory Pat Robertson for his every fifth utterance won’t report on stuff like this. Ever.

An excerpt from MEMRITV: Egyptian Cleric Explains Fatwa Sanctioning Killing of Israelis Visiting Egypt:

Mona Shazli, Presenter: Sheikh Safwat Higazi is one of the most well-known people to appear on TV who talks about religious matters and fatwas. He is one of the most well-known preachers, and he has a show on Al-Nas TV.

[...]

He said, among other things, that if he saw an Israeli on the street, in Egypt, he would kill him. This may give the impression of being a fatwa to kill any Israeli Jew walking down the street.

[...]

Safwat Higazi: I did not call upon people to kill Israelis in the streets. I never said such a thing.

[...]

When I said what I said, I was dreaming a beautiful dream, which I hope will come true, and that we all agree upon it. I dreamt that we are the Arab Islamic States, not just Egypt, Lebanon, and Palestine. I was truly dreaming that we are the Arab Islamic States. Get a map of the Arab homeland, and erase the borders... Or maybe these can be borders between counties or states, like the USA, in which 49 [sic] states were united into one country. I had a dream that we were one country, called the Arab Islamic States. The capital of this country is Egypt, and the president of Egypt and its government head this country. This is the dream I dreamed.


Predictably, the backtracking goes on like this for a while. Read the whole thing.